My Japan Tour.

Monday 9 April 2012

This June, I have been asked by Art Print Japan to produce some drawings which they will reproduce and sell as prints around Japan.
It's a long time since I visited Japan - 2006 just after I'd started the company.
I went over in the August with my mum and aunt with our suitcases filled with knitted trees and creatures!
We set up a show at Trico 's gallery and after that Trico became my distributor for the last 6 years. I remember returning from the trip feeling so inspired, I'd had a fantastic time. Then I got my first order from them .... Up till then I was making everything on my own with one domestic knitting machine. Well, the order came through- 20 Cyril squirrels, 30 rills, 50 Charlie monkeys, 1000's of felt coasters etc etc ! Luckily I got a phone call from a girl I'd briefly taught at Grays in Aberdeen- she asked if I needed any help... I said yes could you come and help for a couple of months? Louise came and we made the order, and it didn't really stop, Louise ended up staying for more than 4 years!!
So I have a big soft spot for Trico, and Japan and I'm so excited to be going again, this time we are travelling around for almost 3 weeks!
Here's a map of the places we'll be visiting and meeting people.
I have to produce around 160 illustrations before I go so will post a few on the blog to show you how it's going! Some of these will be reproduced as giclee prints and prints on canvas, and some will be sold as an original.

8 comments:

  1. Lucky Duck! Japan is the bestedest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a lovely time :) I'm going to Japan for 10 days with my university in December, I can't wait, I've heard so many brilliant things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great illustrations! Hope you have a great time in Japan (bound to happen I guess ;))

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting! Will be wonderful to see your goods in Japan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful your wide eyed bears are - love them. My daughter is always laughing at my wide eyed rabbit faces on the wooden stars i make - can't see what's so funny personally)) Lovely to read about how things suddenly expanded for you in 2006 - very lucky to have a helper so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!! Donna, what a wonderful trip! Hugely jealous...hope it won't be too long before I can make it myself. The little watercolours are lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great news!
    I am a big fan of you, and I cannot wait to see you then!
    Welcome to Japan!

    ReplyDelete